Friday, December 19, 2008

My Top Ten for the Year


So, all in all, a mostly terrible year for yours truly. Regardless, there were some days when I didn't feel like drowning in a pit of spiders. 

Here's my top ten good things that happened in chronological order:

1) When LOST came back on the air and it was totally awesome. My favorite show of all time. 

2) Good Friday. I was walking a long and a bunch of frat boys invited me in to smoke up and take drugs. Very fun. Previously documented here.

3) My friend's attempt at starting a marathon of Best Picture winners. It died out at 1937, but it was fun while it lasted. 

4) Meeting that dude Josh, who was a friend of Katie's. He was nice. I wish I had a friend like that dude, Josh.

5) Bonnaroo. Even though I went alone and the rain brought me down and my tent leaked, and my phone died and I was worried about my folks, it was still fun.

6) Watching Veronica Mars with my folks. I'm glad they liked it. I liked it too. 

7) Finishing that first draft of my script for my friend. I like to finish scripts.

8) Connor Oberst at the Ryman. I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would.

9) Obama wins. Woo-hoo! I cried. 

10) Meeting that chick that I totally fell for after meeting her only once. Beautiful, smart, interesting, and she got me. 

Sadly, there was a lot wrong with this year as well. For one thing, I haven't made any new close friends - although that dude from the screenwriting group seems to like me. Here's my top ten worse moments of 2008:

1) My birthday. Half of the few friends I had refused to associate with the other half. So when people actually tried to hang out with me on my Birthday (at eleven at night!), they had to be separated out. My friends suck. Also, one friend forced me to watch Die Hard or Live Free for my birthday. My friends suck. And my family took me to some fish restaurant only because you eat for free if it's your birthday. Lame. All of them, lame. 

2) The "Oscar Party"  Only a few friends were there. Not like the events it used to be in the past. It made me wonder, were there other Oscar Parties going on that I wasn't invited to. Everyone knows my obsession with movies and the Oscars. Seriously. 

3) Saturday Morning at Bonnaroo. My phone was dead, it was rainy, I was alone, my tent had collapsed. I was down. I mean everything was at its lowest. Apparently, someone I know saw me at that time, but didn't say anything until a week later. I could have used a familiar face, asshole!

4) Walking home one night at four in the morning, I passes a bunch of houses where people were hanging on their front porches, laughing and playing guitar and drinking. That's what I would like to do. I would like to have friends to do that with. That late at night. People do it. I'm not that alone on this!

5) The script rewrites. I knew writing the script that not much would come of it, but the brick wall I hit during the rewrite phase was really disheartening. The worst was when I knew that even less would come out of the script than I expected. I'm not going through that again. 

6) When It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia ended. It was like saying good bye to a friend. I know it will be back next year, but that show is fun, and I have very little fun in my life. 

7) Halloween. Just as useless and disappointing as ever. Nobody called. Nothing happened. And it was even on a Friday night. 

8) When I realized that chick was never going to get back to me. A real downer. I was all excited about meeting her. I can't help but wonder what I did wrong. 

9) Thanksgiving. I sat in the other room watching TV while my asshole family gossiped about me. I can hear, you know. 

10) getting a ticket for running a stop sign at one in the morning. What the fuck ever! 

So that's my year. Pretty lame. I've tried to meet people through various means. Right now the only community I have is on user comment boards. Next year has to be better . . . Right?

No comments: