Thursday, December 3, 2009

My Favorite Movies of the Decade

All this top films of the decade list-making has forced me to make my own list.

Some notes: These are clearly not the best movies of the past decade. These are 100 of my favorites as of this moment right now as I am making this list. There are clear trends. I like horror movies and genre movies. There is a lack of foreign movies and documentaries here. I prefer playful fantasy movie franchises over austere fantasy movie franchises. I like violence (in movies). I like melancholy. I often see satire where others don't (including the filmmakers responsible). I gravitate toward movies about young people rather than old people. A lot of these movies strike me as kinda slick. Etc.

Yes, I cheated a lot - lumping movies together. My list, my rules.

There are still a lot of movies from 2009 that I have not yet seen. Also, my choices are very typical of the young straight white American male - so I feel like something of a cliche. Not very many surprises or unseen gems. I refuse to assign rank or hierarchy. Hence, these are listed alphabetically.

Also, it turns out this project was a terrible, terrible idea. Even worse than the Disney viewing project, and I don't plan to make another list ever again for at least a week. I would normally dump a load of ephemera about each movie, but I'm not that crazy.

This is not technically the last year of the decade, but monkey see, monkey do.

12 and Holding

28 Days Later and 28 Weeks Later

A.I Artificial Intelligence

Adaptation.

Afterschool

Almost Famous (Untitled)

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

Bad Santa

Billy Elliot

Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan

Brick

Brokeback Mountain

Buffalo Soldiers

Capturing the Friedmans

Chicken Run
Children of Men

City of God
Cloverfield

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind

The Constant Gardener
Coraline
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

The Dark Knight

The Departed

The Descent

Dogville

Donnie Darko

Elephant

The Fall

Gangs of New York

Gomorrah

Gone Baby Gone

The Good Girl
Gosford Park

Grindhouse

Half Nelson

The Harry Potter Movies EXCLUDING the first two.

The short films of Don Hertzfeldt (Rejected, The Meaning of Life, everything will be ok, i am so proud of you).

A History of Violence

Hot Fuzz

The Hurt Locker

Igby Goes Down
In Bruges
In the Bedroom

In the Loop

In the Valley of Elah

The Incredibles

Inglourious Basterds

Kill Bill (Vol. One)

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Let the Right One In

The Lookout

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Lord of War

Lost in Translation

Memento

The Mist

Moulin Rouge!

Munich

Oldboy

The Others

Panic Room

Pan’s Labyrinth

Paranoid Park

The Piano Teacher

The Pirates of the Caribbean Trilogy

The Prestige

Primer

[Rec]

Reprise

Requiem for a Dream

The Royal Tenenbaums

The Rules of Attraction

Save the Green Planet

A Serious Man

Shaun of the Dead

Sin City

Six Shooter

Slumdog Millionaire

Spider-Man 2

Spirited Away

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Synecdoche, NY

There Will Be Blood

Thirst

Treasure Planet

Two Lovers

WALL-E

Wanted

Watchmen

The Weather Man

Where the Wild Things Are

Wonder Boys

The Wrestler

Y Tu Mamá También

You Can Count on Me

Zodiac

Filmmakers and actors I came to like this decade (I apologize for the lack of women in my list):
Darren Aronofsky
Christian Bale
Kristen Bell
Brad Bird
Alfonso Cuaron
Leonardo DiCaprio
Robert Downey, Jr.
Joseph Gordon-Levitt
Ryan Gosling
Michael Haneke
Don Hertzfeldt
Spike Jonze
Charlie Kaufman
Martin McDonagh
Takashi Miike
Hayao Miyazaki
Christopher Nolan
Isabella Rossellini
Gore Verbinski
Lars Von Trier
Some I came to like all over again:
David Cronenberg
Martin Scorsese
Steven Spielberg
Trends I Liked:
A closer attention to continuity in both franchise movies and serialized television.
Netflix.
Pretty yet bleak cinematography.
Puzzle movies and playing with chronology.
Repertory and Midnight Movies at the Belcourt
Screenwriters being directors (Charlie Kaufman, Scott Frank, Shane Black, Andrew Niccol, etc.)
Smaller independent movies coming to Nashville more often.

No comments: